We are making strides towards getting an official release of RSS Bandit out in the next week or so, in the mean time early adopters can download the latest version.

The biggest changes are that we have incorporated Oleg's Russian translation which brings our number of supported languages to four (English, German, Russian and Simplified Chinese). There is also a Turkish translation that is half done. The ever diligent Torsten has added the following command line option to RSS Bandit

-c[ulture]:? code>', e.g. '-culture:"ru-RU"'  launches RSS Bandit with Russian UI.

There is also the patch we got from Curt Hagenlocher which adds sort arrows to the columns in the list view when you click them. We also now offer maximum configurability of the MSN Messenger-style pop up windows that tell you if your favorite feeds have been updated. You can configure them on a per feed basis or for all feeds, as well as turn them on or off from the system tray. There have also been minor improvements in memory consumption, about 5%-15%.

Another great development is that the RSS Bandit online documentation is filling up nicely. Kudos to Phil Haack for the great work he is doing on this front. I know new users will love having this information at their fingertips.

As before any comments about the beta version should be brought up on the mailing list or discussion board. Bugs should be filed in the bug database on SourceForge and feature requests go to the feature request database on SourceForge.


Wednesday, April 14, 2004 7:03:04 PM (GMT Daylight Time, UTC+01:00)
I don't know if this is a bug or not. I can't make the little bubble that annouces the number of feeds and the number of new items go away in XP. I click the "x" and a second or two later it pops up again. I can't find an option for turning it off, I've turned off the individual feed notifications.
Wednesday, April 14, 2004 7:58:18 PM (GMT Daylight Time, UTC+01:00)
This was a bug v1.2.0.90 that should be fixed in the current beta. Are you using the latest bits from my download link, v1.2.0.107?
Wednesday, April 14, 2004 8:27:18 PM (GMT Daylight Time, UTC+01:00)
My blogspot Atom feed shows no items in the Feed Details tabbed window.

The feed file starts with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="http://www.blogger.com/styles/atom.css" type="text/css"?>
<feed version="0.3" xmlns="http://purl.org/atom/ns#">
<link href="http://www.blogger.com/atom/4134341" rel="service.post" title="MonoBlog" type="application/x.atom+xml"/>
<link href="http://www.blogger.com/atom/4134341" rel="service.feed" title="MonoBlog" type="application/x.atom+xml"/>
<title mode="escaped" type="text/html">MonoBlog</title>
<tagline mode="escaped" type="text/html">Some reflections of a Systems' Architect, Free Software Hacker and Wouldbe Polymath</tagline>
<link href="http://monoblog.blogspot.com" rel="alternate" title="MonoBlog" type="text/html"/>
<generator url="http://www.blogger.com/" version="5.15">Blogger</generator>
<info mode="xml" type="text/html">
<div xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">This is an Atom formatted XML site feed. It is intended to be viewed in a Newsreader or syndicated to another site. Please visit the <a href="http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=697">Blogger Knowledge Base</a> for more info.</div>
<link href="http://www.blogger.com/atom/4134341/107773346281018926" rel="service.edit" title="Gave a bit of love to MonoWiki" type="application/x.atom+xml"/>
<name>Rafael Teixeira</name>
<link href="http://monoblog.blogspot.com/2004_02_01_monoblog_archive.html#107773346281018926" rel="alternate" title="Gave a bit of love to MonoWiki" type="text/html"/>
<title mode="escaped" type="text/html">Gave a bit of love to MonoWiki</title>
<summary type="application/xhtml+xml" xml:base="http://monoblog.blogspot.com" xml:lang="en-US" xml:space="preserve">
<div xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">Added MonoBASIC (VB.NET) open bugs item to MonoWiki - Home Page</div>

Any ideas? Was already exhibitting that behaviour with beta 106...

rafaelteixeirabr@hotmail.com (Rafael Teixeira)
Wednesday, April 14, 2004 8:46:25 PM (GMT Daylight Time, UTC+01:00)
This is an FAQ question, RSS Bandit by default only shows the last month of posts for a feed. You can configure this either in the feed properties for a particular feed or change this by going to the Tools->Options menu and changing the value for Max Item Age in the Feeds tab.
Thursday, April 15, 2004 6:25:06 AM (GMT Daylight Time, UTC+01:00)

The bits you pointed too won't install for me. I get an "Object reference not set to an instance" error and the install rolls back.

I'll try the previous nightly build and see if that works better.
Thursday, April 15, 2004 11:35:52 PM (GMT Daylight Time, UTC+01:00)
The recent bits do not have an installer yet so I'm not sure which installer you are using. The last installer we created was for v1.2.0.90 and we've heard some of the problems you mentioned from various users. I'll ensure that such exceptions don't prevent installation or uninstalls with the next release.
Friday, April 16, 2004 8:24:40 PM (GMT Daylight Time, UTC+01:00)
Ok, I'm confused about what version I was using too. I must not have used the version you linked to above since it doesn't have an installer. That's definitley an ID-10-T error on my part.

I just downloaded the build you linked to above and tried to run it. It threw an exception. I let it open a ClrDebugger instanace and copied the exception information it gave me.

I'm 100% sure this was a security exception since I ran it from a shared drive that I haven't told the .NET Framework to trust. I ran it from my local drive with no problems.
Comments are closed.