A few weeks ago I announced the availability of the release candidate for the Jubilee release of RSS Bandit. We got a lot of good feedback from our users on that release and have fixed a ton of bugs based on that feedback. With the addressing of these bugs we believe the product is now stable enough for a final release. Thus we have refreshed the release candidate installer and made it available at http://downloads.sourceforge.net/rssbandit/RssBandit. Our plan is to watch for feedback on this release candidate and if there are no major issues left, then we will release a final version with a version number of v1.5.0.10 on March 3rd, 2007.

Below is an exhaustive list of the bugs that have been fixed in the past three weeks. Since there are quite a number of them, I've highlighted the fixed issues that were particularly annoying to users based on the amount of feedback we got on them.

Change Log for RSS Bandit (Jubilee Release Candidate 2)

  • Fixed: RSS 0.91 DTDs now fetched from local machine instead of http://my.netscape.com/publish/formats/rss-0.91.dtd to cope with announcement made by Netscape that the file will stop being available on July 1, 2007.
  • Fixed: Custom actions in installer prevent installation on Windows Vista.
  • Fixed: security exception on opening Options dialog if UAC is activated or a user does not have admin privilegs
  • Fixed: Scrolling through newspaper can mark items unread if they were marked as read outside the newspaper view(bug 1641219)
  • Fixed: Selecting multiple items then right-clicking on them, deselects them (bug 1642463)
  • Fixed: Size limit on podcast folder wasn't being honored (bug 1642923)
  • Fixed: The search index somehow becomes corrupted then every couple of minutes a dialog box would pop up with the error message "Unexpected Exception on SaveApplicationState() ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException"
  • Fixed: Marking an item as read in a search folder doesn't mark it as read in the main feed.
  • Fixed: Some feeds refuse to display with the following error message - "Error retrieving feed ... from cache: Item has already been added".
  • Fixed: Save Search button was not working in the search panel
  • Fixed (completed): Back button chevron should be removed when web browsing
  • Fixed: Feed Subscriptions Panel width was not remembered on restart (bug 1647343)
  • Feature: search folders now have a context menu entry to toggle display of full item texts (somewhat slower than show summaries)
  • Feature: the font style and color used for watched news items are now configurable via Options|Fonts dialog
  • Feature: the font style and color used for unread counters in the subscription tree is now configurable via the configuration file options (sample enables rendering similar to outlook express)
  • Feature: Open browser tabs are remembered on restart
  • Fixed: Newly launched browser tabs grab the focus instead of opening in the background (multiple related bugs reported at sourceforge)
  • Fixed: Url combobox not always in sync. with the current displayed tab
  • Partially fixed: Back button chevron should be removed when web browsing (bug 1638805)
  • Fixed: Feed with initial focus is always refreshed on startup (bug 1634694)
  • Fixed: Sometimes the toolbars replaced by giant red 'X' while browsing the Web from within the application.
  • Fixed: Option "Initiate download feeds at startup" was not being honored
  • Fixed: Restore from system tray doesn't always re-display window (bug 1641837)
  • Fixed: Upgrade IE 6 to 7: cannot use ALT-Tab to switch tabs anymore (bug 1602232)
  • Fixed: mouse wheel support for treeview re-activated (wheel-scroll while not focused)
  • Fixed: The "On initial subscription: Only download X items" setting was not obeyed.
  • Feature: Can now drag multiple urls separated by newlines to the treeview for "batch" subscribe